Friday 9 August 2019

Some stuff that happened

Venice, and I do the line to 'Dutch Venice'.
When I first started working for my 'old' company, I had some days with touring work. I liked it, it was like the old days. But I knew that if I said to the jobs during the day, it wouldn't be long before those jobs would extend into very early morning or late evening/night. Not what I wanted anymore and I told them I would prefer to stick to my public transport line.

I call it public transport because it is open to everybody (as long as they pay), but I do not drive the regular line. I drive the tourist line. With a lot of people from the Asian continent, which occasionally means having to roll my eyes in disbelief and sighing very deeply. Their English is sometimes very good and sometimes non-existent. And the latter especially requires heavy eye rolling!

Rembrandt's Night Watch in sand
But there are also things that make me smile. Sometimes with passengers, often with stuff on the outside. During spring there were a lot of geese in the area. They are still there now really, but they all fly now. During the spring they walk, as their young can't fly yet. And seeing Mummy Goose, several goslings and Daddy Goose crossing the road is fun. It gets less fun when not only the Goose Family, but the extended Gooses cross, as you can sometimes sit there for nearly five minutes for all of them to cross. Unfortunately no photos.

Whereas the Gooses come with both mum and dad, the Ducks come with mum only. But she leads them with the same determination as the Gooses! And when she has tiny newly hatched ducklings, there is a huge ooooooh-factor, including from the passengers.

"I am gonna get you"
The other day I saw two dogs, a big one and a smaller one, the smaller rubbing against the big dog. As I got closer however, I realised it was a large dog and a cat! That was a smile for me. 

Because much of the area I drive through is adjacent to a National Park, nature is beautiful. Trees and flowers are fantastic to see change through the seasons. Talking about National Parks: I once had a lady who came at the end of the day and she wanted to visit said park. She wanted to see the mountains! Ehm... there are no mountains, it's flat here. But it's a National Park, she replied... 

The last thing I wanted to share with you has nothing to do with work. But the other day I went into a fast food restaurant to get a McKroket and as I was waiting for it to be prepared, a girl was called forward. The server wondered whether her order was right, as she had ordered a cheeseburger. Without cheese! 

8 comments:

  1. Sand sculptures are brilliant. Enjoyed your story about the cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the server had a good laugh and a lot of eye-rolling over that as well!

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    Oh yes, I loved your sculptural interludes here - but very much enjoyed the words between! A lively drive through some of your day. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's really quite boring, but mostly things happen. Even during the drive, where passengers want me to read a phone! While driving!! Madness.

      Delete
  3. I would have loved to see the geese and ducks crossing the street And at least with tourists you have some fun !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid photos, Mara. Sounds like you are getting all settled into your job. As for orders, well, my nephew ordered a hot dog without anything on it. He meant just a bun and dog. He opened it and it was just the hot dog with no bun. That was 50 years ago and I still laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile with that story. It's things like that that get repeated over and over again and stay funny as well.

      Delete
  5. That's funny, a cheeseburger without cheese!! Also funny how that woman thought all National Parks have mountains.
    I would enjoy seeing the geese and the ducks with their babies. I love all the photos you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!