Wednesday 23 May 2018

Week 4

Last Monday I had been in Northern Ireland exactly three weeks. In those three weeks a lot of things have happened. I got a car, a bank account, my stuff arrived, Miss Oswin arrived and I started work.

That last thing wasn't without its problems however, as you have probably read last week. I must admit, it really did knock my confidence for six. I knew it was going to be the hardest thing of driving here, but I never thought it would be that difficult. Everything I thought I knew about driving a coach was basically thrown out and I had to start again from scratch.

In the mean time however, I keep driving those mini-buses. They may be only slightly wider than a regular car, but they do give me some confidence in my abilities to drive and make sure people arrive safe and on time. Which was very much needed. 

There was another thing that was quite welcome today: my first pay. Well, I haven't received it yet (probably tomorrow) and it isn't that much, but pay is pay and on a monthly basis it seems to be enough to pay for my rent, electricity, insurance and whatever else. Plus I have some money still (coming) from Norway that will help tide me over as well.

13 comments:

  1. Good morning Sir!!! MOLMOLMOL that cracked us up.
    Did you watch the fencing?
    We say bravo x 100 to you for how much you have accomplished in 4 weeks. The driving will be second nature to you very soon we are certain.....your determination far exceeds any challenges.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I second Madi's comments; bear in mind that as positive as this move is for you, there will be an level of emotional exhaustion which can affect all our abilities. It WILL settle and you'll be trundling those roads like an old hand afor long! The pay helps. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I do recognise the feelings as well: they are very similar to the ones I had when I moved to Norway. This time around though I had help from my sister and I speak the language, getting rid of a lot of the stress I had during my last move.

      It is still tiring though and there are still times when I wonder whether I have made the right choice (I have, but still...)

      Delete
  3. Have you got enough money left for food? And cat food? The two most important things! Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! And the milk came too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a constantly amazing person. No matter what gets in your way, you seem to find a way around it. Your sense that evrything will come out all right gives me back some of my faith in the essential goodness of people. Every good luck for the future, though I hardly think you'll need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I don't however deserve all the praise: my sister is and was quite instrumental in helping me deal with problems here in Northern Ireland.

      Delete
  6. I think you achieved already a lot in such a short time !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a lot of stuff to have to learn and adapt to. But you've come a long way! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad things are going okay. I think the smaller van is a great way for you to do the transition with the steering wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Mara. I admire your courage in moving countries as well as driving on the other side of the road on a lot of narrow country roads. Iknow you will make a big success of your move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, the actual driving isn't that bad. It's just the width of those coaches. But, I am working up to it again.

      I am definitely planning to make a success of my move. For both me and my sister, because she's the main reason I moved here!

      Delete
  10. Pay is a good thing. Probably the reason many of us work.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!