Wednesday 1 April 2015

George

He is bound to be there somewhere!
When I grew up, I wasn't invited to many birthday parties. Most of the people inviting me were girls who lived on the same street. There was however one exception and that was George. A boy in my class. He was not one of the popular, although I think that everybody remembers him, since he could throw massive temper tantrums. He once even tried to reconfigurate a whole classroom holding on to desks and chairs, while a teacher was trying to get him out of said classroom! 

George was a nice boy though. And he always invited me over for his birthday parties. There would be several other boys and girls there and we would usually have a nice time. Even if his little brother would also be there, which was not to his or our liking. 

We would have cake, we would have lemonade. We would play games and we would tell jokes. The worst kind. The 'your shoe lace is loose' kind of joke. Which isn't really a joke at all, but hey, we were about 10! The main reason for those type of jokes was the fact that George celebrated his birthday on April 1st. April Fool's. And silly jokes were part and parcel of every single birthday party he had. 

After primary school we both went to the same high school. We were in the same class and quite often we would cycle at least part of the way to school together (there were about five or six different locations). But then I left that school because we moved to another town. And I lost touch. When we had a reunion 15 years later he didn't come, although with great difficulties I did manage to get him on the phone at some point to ask questions about his time at school.

It's been 32 years since the last time I was invited to his birthday party. But his parties will always stand out to me. So, happy birthday George. Hope you have a great day!

This post is prompted by Spin Cycle. Thank you Ginny Marie at Lemon Drop Pie.

PS: your blouse is buttoned the wrong way!

9 comments:

  1. What great memories of George! You also reminded me that I have a friend whose birthday is today, so I popped on over to Facebook to wish her a happy birthday!

    Your PS made me laugh as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice that at least you had one important birthday party ! I had so many at that age, that I can't even remember and it continued. Now I am too lazy to make parties, only on round numbers so far, but I guess that this will stop too, too much work !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound like fond memories although he sounds like he had some anger issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    This made me both smile and have little sadness also... poignant, I think that means! Lovely share. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is actually one of the people from school I will always remember. Mainly because he was just a nice guy. And he invited me to birthday parties!

      Delete
  5. There is probably a 'George' in every school! Always a little sad. Our's had a seizure in class during our freshman year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fairly large class (min. 34, max. 37), so we had our fair share of stand-out pupils. I can still remember most, even if it is a bit harder now to remember first and last name!

      Delete
  6. Is it a good day to have a birthday on 1st April? I'm not sure. Reading an article in the newspaper this morning about a supermarket that was introducing trampolines into the stores to help people reach the top shelves. I read it twice before I realised that, oh yes, today is 1st April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great memory on a day that could be mean.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!