Monday 22 October 2018

You've got mail

To be returned eventually to the writer/family of...
As I live in a smallish apartment now, and several boxes of stuff are still lingering downstairs in the garage without being used, I felt some culling was needed. Like the box of letters.

I love letter writing and receiving and have done so since the early 1980's. At first it was just my cousin and I who were firm correspondents. Then a couple of school friends were added as I moved away to another town. And by the late 1980's, I had friends from Austria, Belgium, France, Morocco and South Africa. Some of them I had met in real life, others were through one of those pen pal agencies through school.

These will eventually be scrapped
When I started working abroad, I met new people and with some of those I also struck up a letter friendship, most notably Marion from Germany. She was a diligent writer, telling me about her family and her friends and her life in general, which was eventually mostly indoors as she was morbidly obese. Out of all the friends, she stuck around, others fell by the way side in dribs and drabs, never to be heard of again. 

Then came the emails and the smart phones and letter writing was changed forever. Why bother getting pen and paper when a quick email will do just as well. But where I kept the letters, I never kept any emails! 

I say I kept the letters, and I had. From 1983 every letter I ever received I kept. And took with me to whatever new home I would move into. Be it in Norway or Northern Ireland. But enough is enough. So, on Friday I grabbed the box containing the letters and took it upstairs. Determined to sort those letters out. Of course there were letters there I wanted to keep. The ones from Marion for example and the ones from my cousins and family (siblings, parents, grandmothers). But the rest? 

The top letter was from South Africa. He had a very distinct handwriting.
Old school friends, pen pals from South Africa and Austria, Japan and France: they all ended up in the laundry basket for recycling. I had to take out several letters, just to see who they were from, as I didn't always recognise the handwriting. 

There were some surprises though: Brazil and Egypt. I didn't know anybody there, so they probably sent me one letter, I sent one back and that was the end of that. An old school friend lived in Australia and New Zealand for a while. I had a pen pal in Japan. Old work friends from Italy and France who happened to be in Switzerland or Spain. And of course the Netherlands. So many from the Netherlands. 

I took off all the stamps, bound to make somebody happy with them and if not: can always be thrown out. But some of the stamps I kept. From every country I got letters from! I then stuck them on a piece of paper and the plan is to get it framed. Just have to find a frame now in one of my other 'to cull' boxes. 

Oh, and just for a game: can you spot the five royals? Have you found Hachi? Did you see the two different teddies (Brom wants to know)? And can anybody tell me who Olivia and Frederick are?

PS: the address shown on the last photo is an address I lived at over 20 years ago! No point in sending me mail there, but if you want my current address to send me a letter or a card...

10 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    I so nearly commented on the bears yesterday! Yes to the royals and Hatchi - but no idea about O & F ... I too had lots of penpals; I think of blogging as the modern equivalent. I also have labelled folders in gmail to keep all emails of you and family and other pals! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did that: save emails. Perhaps I should have, but for some reason they seemed more transient and by the time I realised they might not, I was too much used to deleting them. Shame really.

      Delete
  2. What an ingenious idea to put all those stamps on one piece of paper. It will look really good when you've framed it. Lots of memories as well every time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an idea for a lot of maps as well (of places I've been): paste scraps of them on a table. Might not happen just yet though: still too much stuff to be doing.

      Delete
  3. Mara it made quite a pretty picture maybe you should frame it.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few binders of my own email correspondence believe it or not. When the internet was younger, I had email pen pals: Singapore, Japan, USA etc. So they were real letters and not just terse communiques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have scanned documents just to be able to keep. Really like how you collected all the stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next box will be photos, I still have lots of photos that I have not scanned and whenever I want to use them (because I know I have them), I get annoyed with myself for not having scanned them yet.

      Delete
    2. I spend too much time putting puzzles together and not doing productive stuff like scanning photos. I know the feeling.

      Delete
  6. I have saved a lot of papers over the years and I have tons of them to get rid of. However I do not have hand written letters like this. Just seeing them puts a smile on my face. They are beautiful all wrapped up in twine. I do save birthday cards and a few other special cards. I love how you saved the stamps.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!