Tuesday 18 September 2018

Being crafty

As my parents were staying here, there was enough time to do nothing much really. So, it was spent reading, doing crosswords or doing crafts. I knit mice of course, but my sister at one point was a bit lost as to what to do. 

Well, that could be remedied. I have enough yarn and I knew exactly what I wanted her to make. I have four absolutely boring brown cushions (came with the Norwegian couch, which stayed behind) and last year I had seen some yarn and knew the colour would fit perfectly with the cushions. 

So, my sister got the yarn and then we realised that it needed a large crochet needle. Which I didn't have. Never fear though, my sister has some of her crochet stuff in my garage (to make room for me when I moved in with her) and lo and behold: a size 12 needle was found. 

She set to work and within a short time she had produced a lovely thick granny square. I then proceeded to sew it to the cushion cover. The result was perfect. She made a second one as well, which I also sewed to the cushion cover. However and unfortunately, I didn't have enough yarn for all four cushions. We (well she really) might squeeze a nice runner out of the remainder of the yarn though, which would fit well. 

For the other two cushions in the mean time I have had another idea. Seeing as I bought that lovely tweed material the other day, that might get used to make a bit more decorative cushions. Will show those if and when they are made. For now though: happy with the result and very thankful to my sister for making the granny squares.

8 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    industrious - pretty result!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago I did that very same thing...with some old pillows...surely brought new life to the couch

    Thank you so very much for the lovely and heartwarming comment about Madi. We feel so much love and
    gratitude from all our beautiful friends we have made. Madi was my inspiration and really the brains behind the entire operation...I just supplied the thumbs. Our motto was live life with gusto and never ever say WHAT IF....I will continue blogging with Angel Madi as my sidekick. I working on getting things in order. Never fear we will 'BE BACK'!
    Hugs Cecilia proud to be Mom of Madi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! My ghostwriter used to crochet. She liked to use double strands of yard and a big hook to make nice heavy blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been much of a crocheter, preferring to knit. Although some crocheting is involved in my mice, a granny square (as they were) is still a bit of a mystery to me.

      Delete
  4. What a great update for your cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With you two living so close together, there is no telling what you will come up with to make. Looking forward to all the Crafty Sisters creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that: if we ever open a craft shop, that might well be the name: Crafty Sisters!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!