Wednesday 1 August 2018

The three month mark

Full of hope
I had a little look back at what I did within my first three months in Norway. A country where I hardly spoke the language, barely understood anybody and where everything was completely new to me.

Here goes: a union meeting, dentist, accident & emergency (not necessary wanted, but hey), union party, an interview for the paper, another union meeting, a staff meeting. I went on walks and met a lot of colleagues at work.

What did you do?
So, what have I been doing in my first three months in Northern Ireland? Where I speak the language and understood most people most of the time.

I have worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Been to some caves. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Moved. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Butterfly garden. Worked. Worked. Worked. Got the car MOT'ed. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Worked. Oh, and I worked.

My head is nowhere near the sand!
Needless to say, something has to give. And as I don't want it to be me, I have decided it has to be the job. I am on an average of over 55 hours a week and I am tired and lonely, even with my sister so close. I have had no chance to meet anybody at all or join a club or something like that.

I will keep you posted, but let's just say, I hope the next three months will be better than the first three. 

13 comments:

  1. Moving is a hard process and moving countries...wow...you should give yourself a big pat on the back for being so adventurous!
    Give it time, this time next next year you'll feel like you've lived there forever!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I know you, you'll find another job very soon! Hang in there, dear Mara.
    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always suspect tha English countries make you work harder than other European countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The working part sounds like ghostwriter's schedule through most of July. August should be better. Hope things settle down for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My schedule has been like that since I started! And it doesn't look like it's letting up one bit either.

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    Yes... to be fair, I think it takes, usually, about 4-5 years to start to belong somewhere; and I recall that I had a similarly difficult transition in OZ. Speaking the same language meant there wasn't quite enough of a difference. Assumptions were made that one was 'okay mate'.

    You'll find your pace and place - I have ever faith in you! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky in Norway then, I felt like I belonged after a much shorter time than the 4-5 years. And the language again: when in Norway I was pulled into everything and said yes to everything, because I wanted to learn the culture and the language. Whereas here I sort of know the culture, have no trouble with the language (mostly) and people assume as you say.

      I have found now though, that saying it out loud and putting it out there has brought some peace within me. I am still a bit teary (without crying), but know that change is a-coming! Also thanks to you.

      Delete
  6. All work and no play makes for a sad Mara. Rooting for you from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I need all the rooting I can get ;)

      Delete
  7. It's always place for you here again Mara...����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk skal du ha! Men tror ikke jeg har nok penger til å flytte tilbake til Norge igjen. Ikke engang til å flytte til neste bygda!!

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of hours. That needs to change!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!