Wednesday 8 August 2018

The castle

The only part still standing
About two weeks ago on a Sunday, my sister and I wanted to visit Antrim Castle. So, we drove up to Antrim, only found Antrim Castle gardens (with a full car park) and eventually made our way to the blue and yellow Swedish shop. As you do...

Six Mile River
However, I still wanted to visit the castle and while working last night (waiting really), I looked up the castle and its gardens. Today I made my way over there. I did find the castle eventually. Well, what was left of it anyway, after a fire destroyed most of it during the 1920's and the remainder was mostly torn down in the 1970's.

Not quite a duckling, not quite a duck
The gardens however were still there and they were quite lovely to spend an afternoon in. I saw part of the ruins as I said, but I also saw old trees, teenage ducks, Six Mile River (so named because it is six miles long. Whodathunkit?) and flowers. I did not make my way over to the largest lake of the British Isles: Lough Neagh. Mind you, I live quite close to it anyway. 

The wolfhound that saved one of the owners from a wolf back in the day
It was definitely worth a visit and next time I will drag my sister along as well. Just to show her the 'castle'!

14 comments:

  1. Hari om
    And a place to take visitors...:-) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mara I'm so sorry you had to get upset at work to MAKE the realize things needed to change. Sounds like they were working you way overtime which is surprising since a coach driver must be alert and well rested. Here's to happier days now.
    Love the bridge over the 6mile river
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to visit! Glad you had a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely place and definitely worth a revisit!

      Delete
  4. There sure is lots of places you can explore in your new home. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does look very hot there...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually not so much. We don't have a heatwave here at all!

      Delete
  6. What a GREAT castle you found Mara. There's lots of history for you to explore over there
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love exploring things like that. Hope your get back there with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely new header. Was the photo taken at the castle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and I felt the spring photo had been up long enough! Ahem...

      Delete
    2. I am not good about my headers being updated very frequently. Good to see you back here in the blog world.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you have found a good spot.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!