Monday 16 October 2017

A break

The pearl stitch: knit one, purl one. Repeat until the end.
It looks beautiful, but it is hard on the hands.
I have taken a little break from the mice, although I will shortly be returning to them. I decided to start another project. 

As you may recall, I recently went on a shopping spree where I bought yarn and wool and more yarn and more wool. As the saying goes: 'you can never have enough yarn'. But I didn't just want to own this yarn, I also wanted to do something with it. So, last week I started.

With a round-knit-needle and the first ball of yarn, I got going. According to the pattern I would need 251 stitches (that is NOT a typo), but that was for large. I am a bit bigger, so I needed even more stitches and in the end it was 275 (again, NOT a typo). The first couple of rows were torture. I am used to knitting with a needle under my arm and with round-knit-needles, that is not possible. 

What I have done so far.
Anyway, forward a couple of days and I have all but completed a quarter of what I am making. Since it will be a garment without any seams, it will probably become a bit heavy, but so far, it works fine. And if you're wondering about the colours: dark green, light green and burnt orange. Not grey.

16 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...but grey and pink work fine too! Seriously though, that is already looking very fine and will be keen to see the finished garment - modeled, of course! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Madi's Mom, the photo does distort a bit. But it really is green and orange!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure what you are knitting, but I'm sure it will turn out well as you seem to be quite an accomplished knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay You Mara the sweater is coming along beautifully and OMCS mom's mouth is watering over the stew from yesterday
    hugs madi your bfff
    PS yes my 'chairs' are purrfect for many things and sometimes I let the peeps use one

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful start! I REALLY need to get back to crocheting. I have two works in progress...one of them is a Christmas blanket I have been working on since last year! So much to do....so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some skills to do that!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you only need two basic stitches: knit and purl. And then you combine!

      Delete
  6. It's looking good so far Mara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully it will continue looking good!

      Delete
  7. People don't think that knitting is hard work. But it is! Your project is looking real nice so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that hard work, but the work itself can get really heavy. And when you make a mistake... the work it takes to undo that mistake is even more than the original work!!!

      Delete
  8. Looks like it will be cozy for the Norwegian winters.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!