Friday 17 June 2016

The shorts

During a different trip. Not the most attractive of outfits!
I have been thinking about this story for a while now. It happened to me (and somebody else) quite a while ago and I still find it quite funny, so I thought I would share it with you.

As you know I used to be a coach driver. Or a tour bus driver if you rather. And one of my trips back in the day was to Italy. Not just Italy, but Rome and Naples and Sorrento and Capri. In the middle of summer. July. When it was hot. Very very very hot!

The coach was nearly full and I had plenty of nice people on board. One of them was a lovely man. Not my type I hasten to add, but he was nice enough I guess. His lady friend thought so too, until about day four when she got thoroughly fed up with him. This is not a story about them though. Only about him. 

On Capri. It was hot! Pretty, but hot!
The temperature south of Rome during July usually is above 40 degrees. Celsius. Close to fever temperature. And this nice, but as it turned out rather dim, man was hot. He was not enjoying the heat one little bit. Which had a lot to do with what he wore. Thick winter jeans! Basically he was boiling!! I asked him whether he had any shorts with him and he answered that he did. He just didn't like wearing them. I told him to wear them. 

He was a nice man. And a bit dim. But, he was quite obedient as well and the next day he trotted into the breakfast room in shorts. Feeling very uncomfortable, but not as hot. Over the course of that holiday in the South of Italy, he would ask me on a daily basis whether he could wear his jeans. And when we finally moved to the North again and I gave him permission to wear his jeans the next day, the sigh of relief could be heard in Amsterdam!

Mind you, there was nothing wrong with the shorts. Or with the legs. Or with the nice, dim and obedient man. He just didn't like them...

9 comments:

  1. BaaaaWaaaah.... he would rather be Boiling HOT than have his legs out. THAT is SADLY Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeans are very hot. Sometimes, when I go out for a stroll in what I think is the cool of the morning, I am just about baking by the time I get back home. But no one has to tell me to wear shorts. I am almost exclusively in shorts for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari om
    Hahahaha :-) I'm with the dimster though... never wear shorts. Then again, neither do I ever wear jeans. Weather_appropriate stuff, though, always weather_appropriate... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, see, it was the weather appropriate stuff he didn't seem to get. The shirts were fine, but the jeans were -40 degrees jeans!

      Delete
  4. Aww! The last time I wore shorts was at school . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wore them today (well, just below the knee ones anyway). Fantastic!

      Delete
  5. I don't like to wear shorts anymore but I do wear capri pants all the time. He had to feel cooler in those shorts. Our son always wears shorts and it is hard to get him to put jeans on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny! My hubby, Gene, has to have shorts be a certain length or they stay in the drawer! He has his 3 favorite pair I get tired of seeing. So this spring I have been finding the slightly longer length and the change is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny with shorts isn't it. I am not bothered by them, in fact, if I could wear them real short I would (I can't, the chafing you know).

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!