Saturday 18 June 2016

Olalia

Early this morning I picked up my friend. We were going to go up to Olalia. A gravel road all the way. Only about 5k. It should be easy!

Well... it wasn't! Mind you, it wasn't hard either. Even though there were some tough goings-up, I never had to stop half way to get my breath back, I managed to not wheeze and whistle and by the time we got to Olalia, I was still on the fit side! I was so happy and proud of myself. I may have only been training for a few short weeks, but it is already paying off!

Once we got to Olalia, I wanted to see the waterfall that was close by. We got the directions and the next thing we know, we are going downhill. And downhill some more. Stones and rocks and very marshy ground. But we made it to the river and to the waterfall. 

Getting back up that hill was a crime though. I may be fitter, but not that fit yet. In the end I did make it though. Together with all the flies and other assorted flying crawlies. But I did manage to take a photo of a frog!!

Oh yes, I did drink it as well!
The way back was the same as the way we came. No stopping at all, not even at the hard bits. And not counting the few photo stops we had. In the end we walked close to 14k (about 9 miles) in total. Up and down and up and down. 

We celebrated our achievement by a nice ice-cream on the way back. Well deserved I think!!

13 comments:

  1. I am so pleased all your hard work is paying dividends. Your motivation must be increasing by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mara and Ms. Oswin...
    we are trying to catch up with everyone. Mom and Dad were away for 6 days just got back Tuesday.
    That waterfall looks very refreshing!!
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMD that was an EVENTFUL run... we LOVE the field of... COTTON... and the Frog and WOW the Beautiful (and Refreshing) Waterfall..

    THANKS fur sharing all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Great job! I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was so pleased. Mind you, I feel it today: my ankles and my shoulders (which were both burned).

      Delete
  5. Crikey Mara ..... with that scenery to look at I have no idea how you could stay indoors EVER!! So beautiful. I'm so glad your out and about walking and taking your camera with you. We are all benefiting!! Thanks for the photos. that waterfall ..... oh my and your header photo. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Keep walking and keep photographing too, aye??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only an hour away! There is so much beautiful stuff to look at close to where I live, it is a shame to not get out more often. But telly and internet and such do have its draws as well you know...

      Delete
  6. Sweeeeetttt! Good for you. You probably burned enough calories that the ice cream came in under your used calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly after the hot dog, the ice cream and the beer I had yesterday, I weighed myself this morning and was at the lowest since beginning!!

      Delete
  7. Hari om
    My word that's a half marathon! I'm impressed for sure. The cottongrass header is delightful. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to sit down in the car after the walk though. Mainly because we had done the return in one go, just so I could see if I could do it (I could).

      The marshy cottongrass was everywhere! So beautiful!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good outing. Love that hut at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ice cream sounds like a perfect treat after a hike like that! Way to go.....

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!