Friday 24 June 2016

A bump

In my quest to be the first person in my home to do a triathlon, I have to overcome another little hurdle. As you know the triathlon is swimming, cycling and running. I know how to cycle and think that with a bit more training I should be fine with that. I know how to walk and even how to walk a bit faster, but running is still not quite there. A lot of training needed for that. 

And then there is the swimming. Which I can do, once I relearned how to not breathe in under water, but my maximum distance is still far off the required 750 meters (I can do about 200-250 easy-ish, 400 at a push). I had been planning to up the maximum easy-ish by about 50 meters each week and by the time the triathlon came along, I would be absolutely fine!

That was, until this morning. When the doctor told me I should not be swimming for at least two weeks, due to an ear canal infection! The pain had started last night and this morning at work, I was told to contact a doctor as soon as possible, before it got out of hand. 

So, for the next 10-14 days I have ear drops to use. And after that I will have to be careful, so I got myself some ear plugs on a string for under my swimming hat. Before you know it, I will be a pro at this triathlon thing. Well, apart from the missed training of course!

11 comments:

  1. Don't lose heart, Mara. You can do it, just later for the swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lose heart. In fact, tomorrow I will have a cycle training with someone!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the infection.... hope the ear plugs and the medicine will keep you SWIMMING ALONG with this leg of the Tri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are made of solid stuff! You will be able to do the tri cause so many are pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have enough time, but it was a bit of a blow. And a hurtful one at that!!

      Delete
  4. Crikey Mara ... what a blow but no worries, I'm sure. With your determination you'll find some way to get round the ear infection problem. You reckon you can do 400 metres at a push now? Goodness it wasn't all that long ago you could hardly do 4 strokes let alone 4 hundred metres

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minute it has cleared (well, with a minimum of 10 days), I will be back swimming. I actually miss it.

      Delete
  5. I hate ear problems, but I would think that the earplugs should keep you training -- once you feel better anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the thing about training for something like this. There are bumps along the way in the training. BUTT the success of crossing the finish line will be that much sweeter! Actually our mom says anyone who lines up for the start is already a winner!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley AKA "Tick Tack"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I won't let it stop me! Because I do like it very much!

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry about your ear infection. Hope your feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!