Monday, 12 January 2015


They had warned us about her for two days already. She was due on Thursday, then Friday and in the end she showed up on Saturday. And what a showing it was! Hurricane force winds that would give the West coast of Norway its worst storm in 20 years. We noticed!

Oh boy, did we notice. The wind was howling, the rain was driving, things flew through the air and people were told to please stay indoors. Which I did! I didn't get out of the door again until this morning. Checking the damages!

Well, I had seen the rooftiles on the ground already yesterday, one unbroken in the grass and one broken on the gravel. Where I used to park my car before. Fortunately I don't anymore and my car was fine. Yesterday morning I found another tile broken on the gravel. On the kitchen side two more were down. 

The remainder of the fence that was still standing got so damaged I will have to take it out. Branches everywhere in the garden. I had to gather up my wheelie bins, since they had gone AWOL. Well, two of them anyway. But in general I think the house and garden survived quite well. 

And where I usually have severe problems watching British television when there is a force two wind blowing, I was able to watch all night without any interruption whatsoever! Well, apart from when the power went out for about ten minutes that is! And I was lucky: others had their power cut for hours!


  1. Hari OM
    Yup the winds are big here too at the moment. Crazy weather. Like you, telly reception is usually interrupted - but not this time. Strangeness continues! YAM xx

  2. Wowser! Surprising you did not get leaks with those missing tiles. Bet you were glad not to be driving the bus in these winds. Glad you are safe! Janice

    1. I had some water coming in via the window, but that only happens when the rain comes horizontally like it did last weekend.

  3. Wow, that was some storm. Glad your safe and your car was safe and that you got to watch TV all night.

  4. That was some storm! Thank goodness you weathered it okay and there wasn't more damage. 10 minutes without power is not bad!


Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!