Tuesday 2 November 2010

Weighty Matters

Last week I sent out seven packages filled with calendars. Two to the UK (I promised my sister one as well) and five to North America. The first ones to be stamped were the ones to the UK. The next one had to go to Canada and I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of the stamp. However, I wasn't that happy about the one that came after that to the USA. It was double the amount! Then another Canada and it was cheap again, then another USA and that also was cheap. So, the clerk went back to the first USA one and put it on again. And again: double the amount.

Fortunately the clerk was a clever lady and she looked at the weight. Turned out, the weight for that one package to the USA was two grams more than all the other ones. What to do in that case? Well, ask for a pair of scissors and cut two grams of paper off. Which is exactly what I did. I cut off the two grams, the clerk weighed the package again and this time it came in under and the packages were sent off.

(Now I just hope I didn't cut off any important bits of the envelope, like the bit that holds it all together...)

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Your calendar arrived all safe and sound here in the UK :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cheaper to send things to Canada because we have a less efficient postal system (than any other country in the world, probably) and it takes longer for things to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Yes, the Canadian postal service is rather slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two grams? She might have let it go. I don't think anybody down the line would have noticed. Maybe the computer wouldn't let her, but she could have tricked it with one of the other packages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny! As if 2g could make all that much difference :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's here! I guess Canadian mail isn't all that slow after all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! It wasn't mine- I got mine, envelope all intact. I have no idea how much things really cost. I've sent stuff to Canada but that was priority, so I am sure it was extra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My package arrived safe and sound! But now I'll have to go look at the envelope to see if two grams are missing. ;) I'm glad you and the clerk were able to get rid of those pesky two grams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found a solution for that.
    I am sure everyone will be happy with their calendars.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!