Saturday 14 November 2009

Saturday Archive 2


The very first home I lived in on my own, paid for by myself and had to take care of myself was a small two bedroom place. Now, I say two bedrooms, but one bedroom had to hold the fridge and had a door to the garden and the bikeshed. So, not much of a bedroom.

After I had lived there for several months, one night I got the scare of my life, when I saw someone standing in front of the window. I was scared stiff and didn't move until the legs had moved again. I phoned the police, who came out, and told them what I had seen (two legs). Of course they couldn't do much with that information, but they did tell me two things: a. if something were to happen that night, my information might help and b. I had to get better security, since the back of my place was quite open.

A few weeks later, I got working on my backyard and my sister came to help. The first thing we had to do was get rid of the few awful looking hedge. Then we had to build a fence. So, we got to work. We nailed and screwed some planks to the existing concrete poles and then we nailed more planks to the first planks. And after all that, we had to stain it (for which my dad also helped). It looked quite horrible, but it was sturdy and my sister and I could both climb it without it falling apart.

The photo shows us both after finishing the job. Take note of my outfit: thick home-knitted socks and lovely Dutch clogs!

4 comments:

  1. Those were the days sis, those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are good DIY'ers. (Do It Youself)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both look like you had a good time working on your project.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the fence looks pretty darn good. Cute photo.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!